Author Topic: Fire-Foxes IV (24-40-60 watt) HID For Sale Searchlight GROUP BUY FireFox IV 4  (Read 112761 times)

Offline Jerrycobra

• View Profile
how do you replace the bulb when it burns out? do you open the top? also i have a few tiny pinhole imperfections on the reflector, but it shouldn't affect the beam much of at all.  also i cant really try it out much, it's way too much power for my residential street, i will wake everyone up XD.

i went from a bc40 straight to this, 8x power upgrade, lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:32:00 AM by Jerrycobra »

Offline Alex1234

• View Profile
i got my ff4 10 minutes ago. i put my ncr18650b batteries in and fired it up. its so dam bright. the corona is huge and i fell like it could throw farther if the bulb was moved to a better height in the reflector. but it still gets close to my modded tn31 in throw. it gets hot very fast and takes awhile to cool down when turned off.

Offline jayrob

• View Profile
Got mine today! :toothy9:

Awesome...

Thanks Vic! :occasion14:

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
how do you replace the bulb when it burns out? do you open the top? also i have a few tiny pinhole imperfections on the reflector, but it shouldn't affect the beam much of at all.  also i cant really try it out much, it's way too much power for my residential street, i will wake everyone up XD.

Bulb rated at 2500 hours so you should not have to change it out. Even at half that you shouldn't have to change it. Changing it is not a simple drop-in. It's not extremely difficult but requires removing some heat silicon inside the ceramic where the bulb seats. Can be done but not fun!

Somebody asked about run-times:

Runtime  Test

Sanyo 2600             24W   55min   40W  40min
Panasonic 2900        24W   65min   40W  55min
Panasonic 3400        24w      ?        40w     ?

Guy I sold one to ran it continuously at 60w. Not sure what batteries he used. Got 7 min at 60w... (3 min + 3 min + 1 min)

Panasonic 2900 mah 18650PD true 10 amp batteries should give most run-time on High Output levels

I've been using some crappy laptop batteries on purpose. Running them hard to see what happens. After about a minute unit just shuts off when ballast overhead not reached. That's good!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:04:35 PM by Lips »
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile

More testing with Infrared Filters

The Bezel of FF5 also has threads so any 67mm screw-on adapter will fit as well as caps like the one that came with the light... FYI

No Light gets out of any of the cracks where screws on:

760nm Filter so you see red glow. Bump to a 950 and you are covert...

You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline Alex1234

• View Profile
I got to play around with the ff4 a lot more today and i really like it. when the lights in 24w the hot spot is kinda raged in a way its sharp and the corona has a few artifacts in it but when in 40w and 60w the hot spot fills up more of the corona and is perfectly uniform spot which gradually tapers to the corona and all the artifacts go away.

The one thing i don't like is the light gets hot way to fast. at 2 minutes its really hot in the hand. my question is how hot can this thing get with out causing issues.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
I got to play around with the ff4 a lot more today and i really like it. when the lights in 24w the hot spot is kinda raged in a way its sharp and the corona has a few artifacts in it but when in 40w and 60w the hot spot fills up more of the corona and is perfectly uniform spot which gradually tapers to the corona and all the artifacts go away.

The one thing i don't like is the light gets hot way to fast. at 2 minutes its really hot in the hand. my question is how hot can this thing get with out causing issues.

Unit has thermal protection and kicks down to 24w when triggered.

FF3 = 65c
FF4 = 55c

Reduced on FF4 for comfort.

Burn that bulb in!
Put some run time on it and the bulb should get better as the salts break in. Light really shows what it can do at 100 plus yards out in the field. I didn't see the full potential til I took it out in the woods lighting up wildlife at 200 + yards. 

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile

Fire Foxes FF4 and Polarion size comparison:

Offline Jerrycobra

• View Profile

Bulb rated at 2500 hours so you should not have to change it out. Even at half that you shouldn't have to change it. Changing it is not a simple drop-in. It's not extremely difficult but requires removing some heat silicon inside the ceramic where the bulb seats. Can be done but not fun!

that sounds good.  since this is a arc light is there like a cycle limit? i know LEDs can be turned off and on rapidly and it doesn't hurt the emitter. but for lights like these can turning it on and off too much burn the bulb out quickly? I do wait for a while (menu says 10 seconds) before i do a hot re-strike as they say that can hurt it especially. also mine doesn't really get that hot at all. when it reaches the 3 min kickdown its not burning hot like others say
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:51:23 AM by Jerrycobra »

Offline Alex1234

• View Profile
on my ff4 if i have it turned on and the side switch is facing up the hot spot is out of focus but when i turn it 180 degrees and the switch is facing the ground the beam a hot spot are perfect. its no big deal but how come it does this.

Offline jayrob

• View Profile
Just LOVE this light!  8)

If I'm going to take the time to weave a lanyard for it, that tells you how much I love this light...

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile

that sounds good.  since this is a arc light is there like a cycle limit? i know LEDs can be turned off and on rapidly and it doesn't hurt the emitter. but for lights like these can turning it on and off too much burn the bulb out quickly? I do wait for a while (menu says 10 seconds) before i do a hot re-strike as they say that can hurt it especially. also mine doesn't really get that hot at all. when it reaches the 3 min kickdown its not burning hot like others say

If I have time I'll usually way before re-strike but if I'm out using the light and I need to re-strike quickly I just do it. You may be cutting some life off the bulb but you have enough bulb life to spare. I try not to shift levels excessively or quickly as to not over extend the electronic ballast. Sometimes when you show people HID lights they want to turn it on and off, on and off etc...

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
on my ff4 if i have it turned on and the side switch is facing up the hot spot is out of focus but when i turn it 180 degrees and the switch is facing the ground the beam a hot spot are perfect. its no big deal but how come it does this.

I imagine it is where the salts have come out of vapor and resolidified in an area of the chamber. Burn the bulb in and it should change around depending on how you set the light down to cool. Probably take a few hours of running before a bulb is broke in.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Just LOVE this light!  8)

If I'm going to take the time to weave a lanyard for it, that tells you how much I love this light...

This is a dive lanyard I use on my Polarion and FF4. Picked it out and Polarion like it so much they started selling them with their units as an accessory. Has some potential tactical uses and you can limit the light hitting the ground if you drop it or stop it from going in the water if on a boat. Working on getting a few of these for a FF4 Kit Light.

Quick attach to belt or loop, Quick detach to allow extended coil use, quick detach from light, Anti drop to surface that is adjustable for your height...

Offline Alex1234

• View Profile
i finally took some beamshots of my firefox ff4 vs my vinh modded 6.5A tn31
As you can see the ff4 does not beat the tn31 in throw but the shear output of the ff4 makes it much more
impressive. And the tn31 does not beat it by much

Modded TN31                                                                                 FF4