Author Topic: FIRST PICS - Titanium Chameleons  (Read 62827 times)

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
FIRST PICS - Titanium Chameleons
« on: December 05, 2005, 07:52:51 PM »
UPDATE 1-25-06:

I turned some free time into Titanium tritium time tonight:

Of course further work on the Ti-Chams will continue after the regular Chameleons are completed.

Thank You for your patience...:naughty:

**************************************************************************************

UPDATE 12-29-05:

The Ti-Chameleon bodies have arrived!  The Ti-Chameleon bodies have arrived!

Some pics while waiting on the electronic boards (same situation as on the original Chameleons) - here is an assembled body viewed from the side:

And here is a top view:

Bottom view with logo:

Close-up of the tritium slot - and here's the deal - TnC meticulously mated each Control Module with each battery tube to marry them into pairs so that after the milling, each tritium slot would be perfectly aligned with each switch hole, thus creating the easy-indexing-in-the-dark function the tritium vials were to serve in the first place:

And here is a shot of the Ti-Chameleon with its Ti-Cub and standard Chameleon siblings:

Just some tidbits to help hold everybody over while we wait on the electronics...:thumbsup:

**************************************************************************************

UPDATE 12-21-05:

TnC just sent me these pics showing the Ti-Cham logo, the pattern is grooved directly down into the Titanium surface as line art - never to be erased again.  Only a couple more small milling operations like the trit slot in the battery tube (we decided the Control Module wall was a little too thin for this) and they are ready to ship.  Possibly even tomorrow...:headbang:

And January 1st looms...:naughty:

*************************************************************************************

I recently finalized a deal for a little over a dozen SPECIAL EDITION Chameleons (SECs).

These SECs will not feature anything different performance wise, as I think the way the light comes is already optimal - meaning of course that one can use any of the four different Current Tables and Five Drive levels within each Table, to formulate their Chameleons to specific needs.

But they WILL be made of Titanium, similar to what was done with eight certain LionCubs prior.

They will feature a tritium marker for switch location in the dark.

They will first be made available to those who purchase original Chameleons, either from me or from the webstore vendor who will be selling the remaining 25 regular Chameleons.

And they will be priced under $300.  Well under, if I can manage it.

BUT -- there are still a couple of hoops to jump through in order to get a shot at one, due to the endless grief I received from a few who felt they were especially entitled to one of the Ti-Cubs last time.  Meaning I need to develop an equitable distribution system for these SECs.

Perhaps a lottery drawing, with number of "tickets" corresponding to number of Chameleons originally purchased?

Someone already suggested a hybrid of this idea with the addition of reserving a few for auction, so that those who could more easily afford one and did not get lucky in the lottery, would still have the opportunity.

Maybe a raffle, with the understanding that if not enough funds came in to cover costs the raffle would be canceled, and conversely if an overage of funds came in then the surplus would go into a first-ever, yet-to-be-created, FF Support Fund.

I am open to absolutely any other suggestions for distribution, after which the most workable could be put to a poll.

BTW the control modules for these Ti-Chams are being machined today, so I am hoping to get the SEC bodies before Christmas, although TnC admitted this would be a long shot.  And that's not even counting whether any of their machines break down from cutting the material itself, as happened with the Ti-Cubs!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 12:31:25 PM by MR Bulk »
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
Re: TITANIUM CHAMELEONS - LIMITED EDITIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 08:09:41 PM »
I like the idea of a lottery drawing with the number of tickets equal to the number of original-purchase Chameleons.  Obviously, if someone with a multiple-order actually won the drawing, that person would only be entitled to one Ti Chameleon maximum, and his remaining entries would be thrown out for the remainder of the drawing.

Offline acusifu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:27:19 PM »
I thought about putting my 2 cents worth in. But I can't think of any clever distribution ideas, just sell me all of them and avoid other suggestions !

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »
oH BOY!

Here are some more ideas...

Winners will be determined by who has the coolest Elvis Avatar
Winners will be chosen by me......

Seriously A raffle sounds like fun

Do the raffle first and say tickets are $5 then you need 60 tickets to raffle a light.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline MSaxatilus

• The big yellow one is the sun!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 08:52:31 PM »
I like the idea of a lottery drawing with the number of tickets equal to the number of original-purchase Chameleons.  Obviously, if someone with a multiple-order actually won the drawing, that person would only be entitled to one Ti Chameleon maximum, and his remaining entries would be thrown out for the remainder of the drawing.

I agree with Dad.  That is probably the fairest idea that I can come up with.

One question, actually an assumption..... but you're going to leave them bare right, no bead-blasted finish?

SPY!!, 27LT XX1T, Ti McLux III & PD, Icarius' Aleph III Tri & Quad Lux, Splash anodized Aleph II, 2C Monster Quads by 3rd Shift, Surefire M6R, WXOS U2 w/ Tailguard, Milky L1, M180, M180-M3, Chop modified L4, ArcMania Modded Lux III L4, M4-on-Steroids!, HD45 XX1T & UXIJ

Offline MorpheusT1

• "VIKING"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 08:58:04 PM »
Raffle all of them away ;)

Once a week until they all are gone  :thumbup:

Will there be a special package with the other heads and battery tubes aswell  :D.
Did not think so,but that would be awsome!
Benny

Offline kukula

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:24:25 PM »
OMG!  A Titanium Chameleon!  This is way too kewl!  Errr....time to wipe my drool all over the floor  :P

Offline MR Bulk

• Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:32:54 PM »
Raffling would be the most troublesome and tedious to administrate (and I don't want to saddle Mod Bill with this regardless of Forum assignments), but perhaps I would do one or two or something...:thinking:
MR Bulk

Offline MSaxatilus

• The big yellow one is the sun!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 10:14:51 PM »
Charlie,

Just take the list of people that have signed up for the Chamelion and use that to designate numbers to the individuals on the list.  Throw them in a hat and pick the 12 lucky people out.  If they pass on the Ti version, pick another number out.

Pretty simple.
SPY!!, 27LT XX1T, Ti McLux III & PD, Icarius' Aleph III Tri & Quad Lux, Splash anodized Aleph II, 2C Monster Quads by 3rd Shift, Surefire M6R, WXOS U2 w/ Tailguard, Milky L1, M180, M180-M3, Chop modified L4, ArcMania Modded Lux III L4, M4-on-Steroids!, HD45 XX1T & UXIJ

Offline Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 10:24:58 PM »
At least one of them should be auctioned -- that's the best way to establish a true value. Better still, auction several, but only one at a time. And raffle some too.

Offline Nathan_Rodger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »
Raffle would be cool - with the chance for $10/ticket to go for each light - either weekly or something. Hey I'd pay $10 for the light! Maybe limit tickets numbers per person (like four or five - so one rich bugger can't buy ALL the tickets). Logistics of a raffle would be a hassle unless there is some online free raffle software *shrug*

Random lottery is the best way to go. Original Chameleon sign-up list all get the "option" for a ticket -not everyone will be able to afford the $300 Ti-Cham. This option should be non-transferable by the ticket holder - only by admin for re-lottery.

Also I know its hard but with the $500 Ti-Cub that has been about - I think we should ensure that these are only re-sold for what they are paid for. I know there is no way to police this (police huh Charlie ;) ) but a 'contract' as such should be held between F-F.com and the winners.

Lottery for 12 (or if 20 are made 15) then auction the rest!! Mulla for f-f.com!!!

Offline Shade

• []D [] []\/[] []D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 11:06:47 PM »
A random lottery drawing one number person only.Must have had a vaild paid Chammie order. SIgn up after and before a certain date. Close raffle. Pick the numbers and watch the sparks fly. I dont think buying more of anything should get you more chances for these , they are too rare and precious and even po folk like me should get a even shot! You would think I would vote democrate wouldnt you? But i dont Im a Republican weee~

This is the best idea that gives the most amount of avid fans a shot and should include most of the Ti Chams to be made. its also very easy to do.

I think holding abour four of them to sell at auction is a good idea as well to cover the cost of keeping the raffled ones down. Let the rich feed the poor

Make sure the thread that lists the winning numbers cant be posted on and stuff~ so i dont have to go through 40 pages of posts to see my winning number
I've come to chew bubble gum and kick flashlights....and I'm all out of bubble gum

Offline Nathan_Rodger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 11:28:18 PM »
Shade -

Good idea re: the announcement page not being able to be posted in - cause when I win - I want everyone to be able to see it as well ;)

Cheers, Nathan

Offline MR Bulk

• Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 11:46:40 PM »
Also I know its hard but with the $500 Ti-Cub that has been about -

Whaaa - ?

Actually if someone buys one for speculation it really should be of no concern to me, although I would hope that they got one because they wanted the light rather than anything else, at least for a short length of time (like a thousand button presses?  Per day?  For a year?  Yee haw!).

I think a lottery drawing is the most reasonable way to go, although it would be better to first determine who was definitely "in", and then only place those people into a hat.  Otherwise if the winner wished to, he/she could potentially field a "best offer" scenario in the background, a situation definitely not in the best interests of FF nor the spirit we promote here - especially if the highest bidder ended up not being from FF.

Although I do want it to be fair, it also has to be simple enough that the accounting tasks do not overtake the pleasure in offering the lights in the first place, plus the simpler it is the less potential for any misunderstandings later.

Some have already written to me directly expressing their preference for limiting, through "natural selection", the opportunity to those who frequent FF for the sake of being here, rather than only when there are freebies (free Arc AA raffle, etc.).  This "natural selection" process simply implies that if one visits here often enough one would likely see this thread and sound off, and if one didn't...:dontknow:

Lots to think about.  But I'd rather distribute them all one way rather than auctioning some, lottery-ing some, raffling some, etc.  I only made these in response to several people suggesting we needed a project like this to match the Ti-Cubs, and I already have other projects in the oven - so much to do and so little time to do'em...:rolleye:
MR Bulk

Offline Readerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »
I agree. Keep it simple. Limit to Chameleon purchaser. Your name goes into the lottery unless you say to NOT put it in. The first x numbers are drawn, and finders keepers. Everybody who made a commitment to buy a Chammie has a shot, you can opt out if you're not interested, and everyone has an equal shot at getting their hands on one.

I think the idea of being "fair" is important, and I can't think of a better way than this!

--Bob