Author Topic: Finally catching the Questing Beast!  (Read 13338 times)

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
Finally catching the Questing Beast!
« on: November 24, 2005, 01:24:59 AM »
After waiting a while, my McLux PDIII is here. This was an elusive light in my particular case, for a variety of reasons.

The finish is better than expected. I have the older style clip, and I like it, though I don't usually clip my lights, I've carried this one around with me clipped in the pocket of the jeans.

The beam is nice. Small donut hole at less than six inches, flawless beyond that. The hotspot is tighter than I would have expected. I don't know if this one is a "joker" Luxeon or not. The sidespill is quite wide. It's a tad green on the lower setting, but I was expecting this. The low is enough for most tasks in the dark.

The twist switch is so easy to operate with one hand. The piston is gonna give me thumb muscles like Mr. Universe!

It's a nice, simple to use light.  Since I've always had a thing for glow in the dark, I got tritium, and it's cool!

I now have choice when it comes to single 123 lights. now. I'm starting to carry a ridiculous number of lights around with me.
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
Hybrid: SL TT 2L, SF A2
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
Re: Finally catching the Questing Beast!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:27:54 AM »
I am envious about the PD! 

Now you gonna need a man-purse!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline kukula

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:42:20 AM »
Congratulations Torchman!  Happy to hear that your PD finally arrived, and just in time for Thanksgiving   :thumbup:  Now you will have to show that to family and friends, wont you?  Wonder what theyll say about you and your flashaholic buddies?   :P

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 02:40:11 AM »
Congrats,

I am in the market for a PD also (chrome).  One of my concerns with the PD is the stiffness of the piston. I have a two stage flat top that white knuckles your thumb sometimes.

How about a subjective or objective or whichever review of the PDIII vs LionCub vs HDS. After some time to get used to it of course. If I remember from the other "VS" thread you have all 3 now. It would be nice to here some straight up comparisons without all the personal digs and having to read between the lines.

Let us know what you think  :thumbup:
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:47:18 AM »
Lips,

Will do on the comparison of all three. I think, as it stands now, the Cub is still my favorite. All are fine lights. I've got to give the HDS a more thorough cleaning. The momentary on it is buggy right now. I've done a quick cleaning, and it was dirty (threads). That's helped it. I've got the alcohol and cotton swabs ready to go. I'm swabbing my own insides with a few Dos XX Amber right now! :thumbup:

The piston is indeed stiff. It can be adjusted by bending, but I'm not going to. I'll just get those Mr. Universe thumb muscles!
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline kukula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 04:01:57 AM »
From what I heard, the piston of the PD needs some breaking in, although the piston of my chrome PD is smooth as silk.  Lips, if you need a chrome PD, better keep an eye on the BST.  Last I heard Don has stopped making them, and wont be making them again.  Guess that makes them collector items  :thumbup:  Btw I just ordered the Titanium bezel for my PD. I think its cool  :P

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 04:06:12 AM »
From what I heard, the piston of the PD needs some breaking in, although the piston of my chrome PD is smooth as silk.  Lips, if you need a chrome PD, better keep an eye on the BST.  Last I heard Don has stopped making them, and wont be making them again.  Guess that makes them collector items  :thumbup:  Btw I just ordered the Titanium bezel for my PD. I think its cool  :P

My two PD's are both polished bare AL.  They're gorgeous.  And I think they're better than chrome, as they can be polished out if they get scratched, and because they are nearly as shiny as chrome.  I've got two of the Ti bezels coming for them, too.  Those should look outstanding with the bare AL.  Great light alright.

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 04:15:29 AM »
AWTYD,

Did you request that he do them in bare aluminum? I got the slate black. However, I've become a real fan of bare aluminum with the Raw and the Cub.

Kukula,

I was wondering if the piston had a break in period or not. Don's real busy right now with you guys buying all the Ti bezel rings!

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 04:27:07 AM »
AWTYD,

Did you request that he do them in bare aluminum? I got the slate black. However, I've become a real fan of bare aluminum with the Raw and the Cub.

Yes, I did.  These were available in limited quantities early on when Don started making these.  To find out if he still has any (I don't think he does), just send him an e-mail: dmcleish@pacbell.net

Offline kukula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 04:32:46 AM »
I dont think Don still makes them in bare aluminum.  It was only available for the early birds so to speak.  I bought the last chrome PD and since then he has stopped making them  :P  I would tend to disagree with you Troy, the chrome PD just exudes class.  Its probably the most beautiful light that I have ever seen  :thumbup:  Don's EDC is actually a chrome PD too, and hes been using it for the last six months or so and its holding up pretty well. 

Torchman, dont worry about the piston.  Just play with it a bit.  Youll soon break it in  :P

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 04:39:42 AM »
I dont think Don still makes them in bare aluminum.  It was only available for the early birds so to speak.  I bought the last chrome PD and since then he has stopped making them  :P  I would tend to disagree with you Troy, the chrome PD just exudes class.  Its probably the most beautiful light that I have ever seen  :thumbup:  Don's EDC is actually a chrome PD too, and hes been using it for the last six months or so and its holding up pretty well. 

Torchman, dont worry about the piston.  Just play with it a bit.  Youll soon break it in  :P

Chris, the chrome lights have a black - BLACK! lens retaining ring.  They will look tons better with the Ti replacement.  Still, I'll take the bare AL over chrome any day.  Just a matter of time when the chrome ones will chip off a chunk of chrome.  Then what?  ;)

Offline kukula

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 04:42:56 AM »
Wont happen Troy.  The fact that Don himself chose a chrome speaks alot, dont you think?  :P
Then again, I know how you love it "bare"  :-[ :P

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 04:47:26 AM »
Wont happen Troy.  The fact that Don himself chose a chrome speaks alot, dont you think?  :P

Don chose a chrome only because I bought out his bare stock.   :evil6: :pottytrain2:

Offline kukula

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 04:49:50 AM »

Don chose a chrome only because I bought out his bare stock.   :evil6: :pottytrain2:

Yeah right  :P :P :P :P

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 04:50:38 AM »
So, AWTYD, when I decide I can't live without the bare alum., you'll be the one to inquire with?  :D ;)