Author Topic: Perhaps a feedback forum?  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Perhaps a feedback forum?
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:27:40 PM »

This suggestion is certainly nothing new, nor is it my original idea, but I think we could use a feedback forum here.

What do I mean?  Well, a forum where members can post topics about other members that they have had experiences with in trades.

For example, let's say that I bought an LED from MemberX.  I would start a new topic in the feedback forum titled "MemberX".  Then inside the topic, I could discuss the transaction and what things I liked / didn't like about it.  If someone else already posted a thread about MemberX, then I would simply add a reply to that thread discussing my experience with him/her.  This way, before someone buys from someone or sells to someone, they could "look up" the member in the feedback forum and read about other's experience with them.

I have seen this system used in other forums (links available upon request) and I think it might be worth investigating.  I think it could help build good reputations and enhance people's confidence before they deal with someone else.  Thanks for considering!  :)

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps a feedback forum?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi Joe - if I haven't already said so, welcome!

If you'll look under you name below the star, you will see a Feedback rating system.  As needed you can applaud or smite users.  You will be asked to give a reason as well.  At the main forum page, at the bottom, you can find the link to look at these statistics and the comments that have been made.

Although not a seperate section, this is a quick and easy way to evaluate users' status on this board.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
Geo, I think Joe is right on.  The applause/smite section is pretty much a joke right now.  People are just having fun with it.  But it really would  be useful to have a Cheers section.  Nothing wrong with saying good things about transactions between members.  I, for one, am all in favor of it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:50:05 PM by arewethereyetdad »

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 02:46:19 PM »
Wasn't saying anthing against another section - just explaining what exists right now.  Currently you are asked to comment on applauds or smites anyway so it does provide a way to give feedback.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 02:52:15 PM »
Wasn't saying anthing against another section - just explaining what exists right now.  Currently you are asked to comment on applauds or smites anyway so it does provide a way to give feedback.

Oh, I know you weren't saying anything against another section - never said you did.  I just think Joe has a good point.  A Cheers section would indeed give members a chance to provide a full description of the good things that happened in a particular transaction.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »
Cheers and Jeers section could be an informative section and FF probably will have to have one the way this place is growing. But dang, some of those Cheers over at the over-mediated intellectual site kinda want to make you   :puke:

Sometimes 
 :hiding:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 04:49:11 PM by Lips »
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
Hi Geo, thanks for the welcome.  As I understand it, the feedback system that exists now is more for *posts* then for buying/selling.  So like awtyd said, I was suggesting another forum to provide information about transactions and to provide more in depth feedback.  Please know that I totally respect your opinion if you think the system is fine the way it is now, and that I am not trying to force my ideas on you or anyone else.  Just trying to make a suggestion - and sometimes it is difficult to sound like that using text on a forum.  :)

I agree with Lips, it is vitally important that the section would be moderated well so that it people take it seriously.  After all, some of these flashlights cost several hundred dollars, so we're not exactly trading peanuts.  ;)

Here is an example of a feedback forum that has been used for several years with success: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16 (Note to moderators: I was hesistant to post this at first, but I wanted to give a better example of what I mean - so if links to other forums are not allowed here, please remove that link at your discretion, thanks!).

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 04:41:44 PM »
Hi Geo, thanks for the welcome.  As I understand it, the feedback system that exists now is more for *posts* then for buying/selling.  So like awtyd said, I was suggesting another forum to provide information about transactions and to provide more in depth feedback.  Please know that I totally respect your opinion if you think the system is fine the way it is now, and that I am not trying to force my ideas on you or anyone else.  Just trying to make a suggestion - and sometimes it is difficult to sound like that using text on a forum.  :)

I agree with Lips, it is vitally important that the section would be moderated well so that it people take it seriously.  After all, some of these flashlights cost several hundred dollars, so we're not exactly trading peanuts.  ;)

Here is an example of a feedback forum that has been used for several years with success: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16 (Note to moderators: I was hesistant to post this at first, but I wanted to give a better example of what I mean - so if links to other forums are not allowed here, please remove that link at your discretion, thanks!).

Joe, on this Forum you are free to post links to other forums.  No problem at all.  And Geo knows what you mean about feedback.  :thumbup:

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 04:55:28 PM »
I think the feedback system was intended in the long term to serve as a Buy/Sell/Trade feedback according to previous posts by Darkgear - see here:

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=83.0

At the beginning it was fun, but now users are required to leave a comment to smite or applaud someone.

*MY* opinion is that if we need to praise or criticize a user due to some event - whatever it may be, that the forum is still small enough that an extra section is not necessary - YET. 

With that, I need to go applaud someone that was long overdue.....

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 05:13:01 PM »
An applause for YOU, Sir Geo.  8)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 02:19:12 AM »
With the current system how do we go and look at the applause or smite comment that was left.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline Darkgear

• Tin Man
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • If I only had a brain...
    • View Profile
    • Darkgear.com
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 03:57:23 AM »
click here

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?action=viewkarma

You can find the link next to the stats link in the main forum listing

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 04:49:00 AM »
Thanks Darkgear

Never seen that before. I still can't find it on my own from the board. I been around for a while and imagine someone new would have trouble also for the applause/smite to be effective. Or maybe I am just stupid and can't find it.     :*)

Offline BraddahBill

• Flashaholic
  • Lumens, don't know what it means, but I want some.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 08:03:27 PM »

Thanks Darkgear

Never seen that before. I still can't find it on my own from the board. I been around for a while and imagine someone new would have trouble also for the applause/smite to be effective. Or maybe I am just stupid and can't find it.     :*)

Lips,

You can find it here..........

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 10:30:16 PM »
Thanks

I see it now.

It looks like it only will show you recent comments. Wanted to see who gave me that most undeserved smite!  :blackeye: