Author Topic: Batteries for VIP when using AA body.  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Osprey Guy

• Flashaholic, Knifemaker
    • View Profile
    • NumberNine-Marketing Communications
Batteries for VIP when using AA body.
« on: November 19, 2005, 10:17:27 PM »
I know I'm supposed to be using CR123's (and not R123's) with the 1x123 VIP, but how about when I use the AA body?
Is it OK to use rechargeable AA's? 

How about Lithiums?  When I received the AA body yesterday, without thinking I loaded it with 2 fresh Lithium AA's (according to my digital multimeter they average about 1.72-1.77 volts apiece at no load).  Worked great!  Beam was very bright (I guess so with 2x Lithium AA's = 3.5 volts)...especially on the high setting.  :icon_sunny: :woot:

Once it occured to me what I had done I stopped using the Lithiums (I only used them for a few minutes...tops)...I don't think I did any damage,...should I have been concerned?

Thanks,

Dennis Greenbaum  :walk:

Offline georges80

• View Profile
    • TaskLED
Re: Batteries for VIP when using AA body.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:23:30 AM »
Lithium AA's would have been fine - you would have lost medium and dim since the input voltage would have been high enough to basically run direct drive in those two cases (until the battery voltage dropped).

NiMH's are also a great way to go with the 2xAA body.

george.

Offline Osprey Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 01:01:40 AM »

you would have lost medium and dim since the input voltage would have been high enough to basically run direct drive in those two cases (until the battery voltage dropped).

Thanks for the quick response...
Maybe I just got lucky, but for the several minutes that I was running with lithiums (very fresh ones), I was able to move through any of the three settings with no problem at all.  And not only that, but as previously noted, each of the settings seemed a good bit brighter than what I'm accustomed to seeing with the 1xCR123 form.  Is that perhaps due to a luxeon lottery thing?

Dennis

Offline georges80

• View Profile
    • TaskLED
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 02:43:39 AM »
They would have dropped in voltage due to the load on them. Dim would have been a lot brighter than normal dim and ditto for medium. High would likely have been about the same - depends on the bin code of the Luxeon in your VIP (i.e. if it has been replaced and/or what Charlie put into it in the first place).

Anyhow, no damage will occur which was your main concern.

george.

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:50:26 AM »
Sounds like you were sort of overdriving low, med, and high with Lithium AA's.  George says ok with Lithiums, but will have overdriving till voltage drops.  Today I tried out two alkaline AA's in my VIP 2AA tube, runs in regulation 0n low and medium.  Got 2 hrs regulation on medium.   Did not try high.  Cells of choice for me are nimh's.  Use twisty for best output and runtime.

Bill

George answered before I posted, and he has the best answers.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 02:52:17 AM by Bullzeyebill »

Offline Osprey Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 03:48:42 AM »
Thanks guys... Until I procure a decent set of NiMH's I think I'm gonna stick with the Lithiums.

"Use twisty for best output and runtime."

I have tried the twisty...it mostly works fine. But when he sent the twisty to me, the seller forgot to include the foam donut in the package.  I assume that will help with the contact, and the ever-so-slight battery rattle.  Once I receive the donut (he's sending it to me), I'll make better use of the twisty.

Having said that, in spite of the fact that a couple of my most favorite lights use twisties (PD, Raw), I am still (mostly) a clicky kind of guy.  I personally like the feel of the Kroll... ;)

Dennis
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 03:51:40 AM by Osprey Guy »

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 04:24:16 AM »
Thanks guys... Until I procure a decent set of NiMH's I think I'm gonna stick with the Lithiums.

"Use twisty for best output and runtime."

I have tried the twisty...it mostly works fine. But when he sent the twisty to me, the seller forgot to include the foam donut in the package.  I assume that will help with the contact, and the ever-so-slight battery rattle.  Once I receive the donut (he's sending it to me), I'll make better use of the twisty.

Having said that, in spite of the fact that a couple of my most favorite lights use twisties (PD, Raw), I am still (mostly) a clicky kind of guy.  I personally like the feel of the Kroll... ;)

Dennis

Uh, yeah, that'd be me.  The goof who forgot to send the foam donut. :tard:  :violent1:

Codeman

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:27:25 PM by Codeman »

Codeman

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:13:01 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:27:33 PM by Codeman »

Codeman

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:51:10 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:26:48 PM by Codeman »

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 07:57:48 AM »
I tried two lithium AA's and did not like the overdrive on low and medium, so switched to NiMh's, which is ok, but they lose their capacity too fact just sitting around.   Recently I have gone to alkalines because I use the VIP mostly in low and medium mode, and runtime is very decent.  I think that the Eneloopes (sic?) will be the ticket.

The switch on fresh alkalines or lithiums can be funny, and sometimes I have to turn the light off and then on to have the medium and low work right.

LiIons, RCR123's or AA's are taboo.   Too much voltage.

I had my low mode biased to 50mA's to led on one VIP, and the other biased to 110mA's to led on low(or was it 130?), and the bias on high changed to 1amp to the led.  Stock low bias is 30mA's to led, and high is about 700mA's to led.  My second VIP was "pre-owned" and the led had been switched out to an H vf.  Stock is J. 

The VIP is a sweet light.

Bill

Codeman

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 12:36:31 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:26:58 PM by Codeman »

Offline Osprey Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 02:34:39 AM »
Ray-

It's been awhile since I so much as turned on the VIP (before sending it to you)...But as I recall when the switch starts acting a little funny like that, there's a fix for it....If I recall correctly Charlie had advised cleaning all the contacts with something like Deoxit...and ideally following up with ProGold (I got both from Radio Shack).  The switch problem went away immediately.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

BTW- Sorry about the donut...I forgot all about that (like I said it's been awhile).  Way back when, I had some of the VIP parts sitting out on the dining room table one Saturday when our once-a-week maid came to the house.  The donut (which I had acquired from somewhere???) had apparently rolled off the table and the maid said she thought that she might have thrown it out, thinking it was trash.  Guess it wasn't meant to be...  :-[
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:42:07 AM by Osprey Guy »

Codeman

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 05:12:01 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:27:07 PM by Codeman »